(Solutions to yesterday’s post.)
1. Telling Ali the female sheep’s name.
Ewe’s Sue, Ali.
2. Encouraging someone to institute legal proceedings against Ellie.
You sue Ellie.
3. An injunction to employ a waterproof boot.
Use a wellie.
4. Hugh has a narrow street devoted to footwear.
Hugh’s shoe alley.
5. An old edition of a celebrity list.
‘Who’s Who’; early.
6. Mud; animal exhibition centre; spinningly.
Ooze; zoo; whirly.
From ‘My Fair Lady’:
Higgins: An Englishman’s way of speaking absolutely classifies him.
The moment he talks he makes some other Englishman despise him.
One common language I’m afraid we’ll never get,
Oh, why can’t the English learn to
set a good example to people whose
English is painful to your ears?
The Scots and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely disappears.
In America, they haven’t used it for years!