Making a stable door stable.


One of the strange features of our new home was an enclosed courtyard with no access to one side of the garden unless one took a wild detour up steps, past the flatlet, and down another set of steps.  There was a tiny window in the rock wall, which only served to funnel the wind when a northeaster was blowing.

We had a doorway cut in the wall for better access, but now the northeaster had a ball through the courtyard. A doorframe was inserted by a builder (very badly) but a good friend refitted it and we grabbed one of the sets of stable doors which had been in the house originally and installed it. It was a bit warped and coming loose here and there, so some stabilising work had to be done on it.  Here we see it being mounted.

Fitting stable doors in courtyard.

And here it is fully fitted.  I think I will be replacing the handle in due course, though.  Something in the brass knob direction will probably suit better.

WP_20160718_15_39_29_Pro

Ideal, if we want to put a stable on the other side.  Mind you, although we didn’t instal a stable in our previous home, we did put in a paddock for when our horse came on beach holiday visits, so anything is possible!  However, the door should eventually lead to a play area featuring wendy house (already in place), platform, swing, and the slide currently mounted at our cottage.

The crazy paving nightmare is nearly over.  Today, in between school runs (holidays are over, alas) I sliced the final remaining pieces into shapes to fill the gaps a diminishing set of choices created.  I cut templates out of cardboard, and then drew round these on the slate before creating dust storms while cutting. It is amazing that the slate from the front part of the house (now tiled) proved exactly enough for the job.  There are two tiny bits remaining, which will probably be needed for any gaps I have missed.  I have pictures of the work in progress, but would prefer to show the finished effect after laying, but before finally being screeded in.

This will be my pride and joy.  All carting, digging, placing and cutting has been done entirely by me with no assistance. I used a trolley to move big bits once I had lugged them up the steps from where they had been stored, and I had to lay, re-lay, and re-re-lay until I mastered the art of getting proper levels for each.  I have previously shown the raised garden beds I created with the tons of sand removed in the levelling process.

© July 2016 Colonialist (WordPress)

About colonialist

Active septic geranium who plays with words writing fantasy novels and professionally editing, with notes writing classical music, and with riding a mountain bike, horses and dinghies.
This entry was posted in Africa, Personal Journal, Renovations and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Making a stable door stable.

  1. beeblu says:

    Well done, You!

    Like

  2. O aarde, nou is daar ‘n onderdeur vir die meisiekinders om oor te loer!

    Like

  3. Quite a nice addition to your home improvement project repertoire!🙂

    Like

  4. colonialist says:

    Demands for new skills are arriving daily – far faster than I can acquire them, in fact!

    Like

  5. Certainly must keep you out of mischief, Col. Looking forward to seeing the finished crazy paving.🙂

    Like

  6. disperser says:

    When one door closes . . . it stays closed if properly built.

    Like

  7. Pussycat44 says:

    If you even need a job as Maintenance Manager I know of one. Plenty of ladies for you to amuse with your wicked poetry!

    Like

You have the right to remain silent - but please don't!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s